Saturday 19 July 2008

The Google Metaverse



Wow I should be guying some Google stock right now if I could afford it. I just read an awesome article talking about Google starting up a metaverse with Google Earth. It also makes me want to read Snow Crash. This is nothing new though, Google Earth originally was created to become ground work for a video game metaverse idea. One of the major problems I see off the bat is all the legal battles. Of course Google would say "We are not accountable for what you create and upload, and you do so at your own risk". But once you have hundreds of thousands of people creating copyright material, its hard to keep up. Just like how YouTube has 10 hours worth of video uploaded every minuet, so they have released a statement "we try to police it the best we can". It will also be interested to see when laws start getting passed that apply to metaverses. I believe it was England (either way it was another country and not the US), who passed a law regarding child age play in a sexual manner. This is just the tip of the iceberg for "wrongful" activity that goes on in Metaverse.

It’s a board topic though. And it would be very exciting if such an event as google buying Second Life, or if they created a better world. I have a feeling it wouldn’t include free building and uploading options to create whatever you wanted. Google seems to always have their projects pretty well under control. And letting a wild society such as ourselves :) loose in a free world like Second Life (that didn’t crash) may be too much for them to handle.

I also went mail out the Iraq coke bottles filled with sand but they had a problem with me mailing our organic material... In any case they said I could take it in a bag I checked in under the plane hah. That way I can hook Eric, Sonny, and the parents up with a little something.

The new Batman comes out tonight! ENJOY IT!!!
-Later days homies

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you don't have time to sit and read Snow Crash, listen to the audio.